Apply for the IDEX California – Path 1
Path 1 is for Applicants who meet minimum education or experience-only requirements but who are still in the process of completing the necessary education/work experience, may take the IDEX California® Examination. After successfully passing the IDEX California® Examination, these candidates must submit the required proof of education/work experience, as listed under the Categories of Certification, in order to complete the certification process.
Minimum Education or Experience-only Requirements:
- You are an interior designer or student with 2 years of education (min. 40 “Core” interior design semester units) or
- You are an interior designer or student with more than 5 but less than 8 years of work experience.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATH 1
CERTIFICATION APPLICATION/IDEX REGISTRATION
Please carefully follow these instructions in order to assure efficient processing of your application and entail all documentation required below to be cleared for CID and the IDEX examination. These instructions pertain to Path 1. The amount due for Path 1 is $600 ($800 for Applicants taking the IDEX at testing centers outside the USA). Your application will not be processed if all fees are not paid in full at the time of application submission.
The following information is to be provided to CCIDC:
A completed original CCIDC application.
Signed Code of Ethics:
This page must be mailed in with your “wet” signature, scans or emails are not accepted.
Proof of Education:
Sealed transcripts from the educational institution. If your name has changed, please attach the Applicants name to the transcripts. AND/OR
Proof of diversified Interior Design Experience:
For Self-Employment Experience – Tax Return going back the amount of years you are claiming experience for (please note, only the page of the tax return listing your occupation as an Interior Designer is required) or a verification of employment/occupation letter from a CPA or Attorney.
For all other Employment – Verifiable Resume: Applicants may satisfy this requirement by submitting a resume entailing detailed employer contact information, precise duration of employment and hours worked.
Proof of Examination Passage:
*Note the IDEX California examination proof of exam passage will be provided for you.
Proof of Identification:
Copy of applicant’s drivers license, State issued ID Card or Passport, (must be legible and recognizable).
Proof of Payment:
The fee for IDEX Registration is $600.00 paid at the time of application submission. For International Applicants an additional $200 fee to take the IDEX at an international testing center ($800 total fee). Once you have passed the exam submitted your additional proof of qualifications and your application has been approved by the Compliance Committee, you will be prompted to pay your first two years fees.
Submit the above information online **Except for Transcripts and Code of Ethics** originals must be mailed in.
APPLICATION CATEGORIES – REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
CATEGORY A: You are a student with 2 years of education (min. 40 Core interior design semester units).
CATEGORY B: You are an interior designer with more than 5 but less than 8 years of work experience.
***Please note all fees are non-refundable***
There will be a $50.00 charge for returned checks and for declined credit card transactions.
READ THE CCIDC RULES AND REGULATIONS
Follow the link below to create your Login Account to:
or LOGIN HERE to finish an application already in progress (Log in with your Username and Password – Do NOT log in with WordPress).
Important Facts For Applicants BEFORE YOU APPLY:
- Do NOT submit an application until ready to begin sitting for the IDEX California® Examination.
- Applications received after an application deadline will be held until the next application review window opens.
- Fees are non-refundable.
- Applicants have 1 year from submission to sit for the IDEX California Exam or applications will be nullified and the full process will have to be repeated successfully to gain certification.
- Only eligible applicants with the required education (Minimum 40 Core Units) or work experience (Minimum 5 Years) will be allowed to sit for the IDEX California® Examination. Specific details on eligible combinations can be found in the Application Categories – Requirements for Certification.
- Submit complete applications. Incomplete applications are automatically placed on hold, and applicants are sent a ‘not approved’ email notification. When a previously incomplete application has been completed, CCIDC then will release the hold and review the application.
- Incomplete applications are held for ONE YEAR. After that time, applicants will need to start the application process over from the beginning, including uploading all materials, submitting fees and meeting eligibility requirements in effect at the time of the new application.
Read and sign the CCIDC CODE OF ETHICS
Print and mail original to CCIDC office.
Total Fees due with application (Includes Application Fee + IDEX Exam Fee + Testing Center Fee**): $600 Total* International Candidates: $800 Total* **
*Fee is nonrefundable
**For Candidates taking the test at centers outside the US
Please attach the following items:
- Proof of diversified Interior Design Experience (Path 1B):
- If You Are SELF-EMPLOYED – A Tax Return that claims yourself as an Interior Designer in the occupation section going back the amount of years you are claiming experience for or letter from a CPA or Attorney. OR
- If You Are NOT SELF-EMPLOYED – Verifiable Resume: Applicants may satisfy this requirement by submitting a resume entailing detailed employer contact information, precise duration of employment and hours worked.
- Proof of Identification:
Copy of applicant’s drivers license, State issued ID-Card or Passport, must be legible and recognizable.
Please Mail the following items to the CCIDC Office:
365 W. Second Ave, Suite 102
Escondido, CA 92025
- Signed Code Of Ethics
Original Code of Ethics form with “wet-signature” is required by mail.
- Official Transcripts (Path 1A)
All transcripts must be official and may be mailed or emailed directly from your school/educational institution.
CATEGORIES OF CERTIFICATION
All Certified Interior Designers must meet an education, work experience and examination requirement under one of the four categories:
- Have a minimum of 80 Core Semester Units from an accredited interior design degree program;
- Two years of diversified interior design experience;
- Passage of IDEX California® Exam.
- Have a minimum of 60 Core Semester Units from an accredited interior design certificate program;
- Three years of diversified interior design experience;
- Passage of IDEX California® exam.
- A minimum of 40 Core Semester Units from an accredited interior design program;
- Four years of diversified interior design experience;
- Passage of IDEX California® exam.
- Have at least eight years of interior design education, or at least eight years of diversified interior design experience, or a combination of interior design education and diversified interior design experience that together total at least eight years.
- Passage of IDEX California® exam.
IDEX California Exam Information
IDEX Study Materials
The “Official” IDEX® California Study Guide
A free, 32-page booklet prepared by CCIDC.
Provides background information on the IDEX® California
exam, including the schedule, rules, release of results,
exam format, content, sample questions and an FAQ
(not intended to be a ‘study manual’).
Third-party classes and materials
|IDEX California Review CourseIn person Classes
by Deborah Ogden, CID
|The Original IDEX CA Prep ClassOn-Line and In-Person Classes
by Carol Lamkins, CID
|IDEX PrepOnline Class
by Deni Mosser, CID
|IDEX Essentials:The Power to Pass the IDEX California Exam
David Kent Ballast
|California Codes and Regulations for Interior DesignersResource Manual
California Legislative Coalition for Interior Design (CLCID)