Policy 3.1: Continuing Education (CEU) Requirements for Certified Interior Designers (CIDs).
Purpose: To establish the requirement of Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) to maintain Certified Interior Designer (CID) status.
Intent: To establish the number of CEU’s required for maintaining CID status and the enforcement of this mandatory requirement.
- Every active Certified Interior Designer is required to successfully complete continuing education courses equivalent to 1.0 or 10 hours Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) during each two-year period.
- It is the responsibility of each active Certified Interior Designer to report completed CEU course credits online to their CCIDC CID Account at the time of certificate renewal.
- CCIDC accepts all approved courses by the Interior Design Continuing Education Council or any Interior Design organization (i.e. IIDA, ASID, IFDA, IDS, NKBA, etc.) AIA approved courses must be relevant to the practice of Interior Design.
- Activities for which CEU credit is not intended: Association membership, leadership activities, committee meetings/activities: Professional exam preparation; Entertainment and recreation. Mass media programs (TV, radio, newspaper) do not qualify unless they are an integral part of a planned continuing education experience qualifying under CEU criteria. Some meetings, conventions and exhibits, (only planned learning activities within such events are eligible for CEU credit.) Tours without specific lecture time by qualified lecturers; work experience; Youth programs; Individual scholarship such as articles, books, research projects, presentation of papers, or teaching.
- Instructors may receive CEU credit for preparing and offering an IDCEC approved CEU for the first time only that the course is offered. The CEU credit is equivalent to the CEU credit received by participants.
CEU REQUIREMENT REPORTING PROCESS:
CEUs are a REQUIRED part of your Certification and need to be completed and reported to the CID Account regularly.
- You need 10 hours (which equals 1.0 Units) every two years. The time frame is from your Certification renewal date to renewal date (not by calendar year to calendar year).
- CIDs with the commercial designation are required to complete 5 of the 10 hours in CA Code based courses.
- We accept CEUs from other providers. We accept CEUs on interior design, codes, architecture, LEED, etc., and all related courses having to do with running a design business.
- Please report CEUs online using your CID Account. Do not mail or call them in. You must report CEUs directly to us (even if you reported them to another organization).
- CCIDC provides a list of providers for your convenience, but the list is not exclusive and other courses not listed are available.
Free .2 CEU – Attend CCIDC Board Meetings
All CIDs who attend our board meetings will receive a free .2 CEU (2 hours). This CEU opportunity began at our Annual Board meeting May 14, 2016 and is not retroactive.
To receive your CEU credit, you must sign in and stay to the end of the meeting. Board meetings are always held on Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. They are held three times per year (January, May and September).
Do you offer a CEU that meets our Certified Interior Designer requirement?
If so, please contact us to provide a description and date of your course for inclusion on this page. Courses should be relevant to the practice or the business of interior design. CCIDC accepts any continuing education course offered by a university interior design department or by an accredited school or by professional interior designers or related organizations such as (but not limited to):
- American Institute of Architects – AIA
- American Institute of Building Design – AIBD
- American Society of Interior Designers – ASID
- Architectural Woodwork Institute – AWI
- California Building Officials – CALBO
- Construction Specifications Institute – CSI
- Interior Design Continuing Education Council – IDCEC
- Interior Design Society – IDS
- International Interior Design Association – IIDA
- National Kitchen & Bath Association – NKBA
- CCIDC also accepts continuing education courses offered at professional interior design trade shows.