Certified Interior Designer Commercial Designation
The purpose of this program is to allow building officials to identify individuals (CIDs) who have prepared non-structural, non-seismic commercial tenant improvement plans in accordance with Sections 5537 and 5538 of the California Business and Professions Code that do not require an architect or engineers stamp or signature who are submitting said plans for the purpose of obtaining a building permit.
Some Building Departments have routinely denied the submission of non-structural, non-seismic tenant improvement plan check submission, especially for work in hi-rise office buildings, even though the design work is exempt under Sections 5537 and 5538 of the California Business and Professions Code. When turned away designers are forced to seek the services of a licensed architect or structural or civil engineer incurring delays and additional consumer costs.
- Who is it for?
- For Interior Designers who primarily engage in commercial design.
- For Interior Designers who submit drawings to building departments for commercial projects.
- For Interior Designers who want an additional commercial designation to their certification.
- CIDs must currently be in good standing, and complete requirements within 6 months of application submission.
- Current CIDs, in good standing, who apply and complete the process BEFORE December 31, 2019 do NOT need to provide proof of National Exam passage. The application fee and completion of listed ICC Courses shall be sufficient to obtain the Commercial Designation. APPLY NOW to take advantage of this CID Special Promotion!
- Effective January 1, 2020 ALL CIDs must provide proof of passing one of the following examinations, to qualify:
- Designers not-yet certified must also pass the IDEX California® Exam**
- Provide proof of passing the following California Based, International Codes Council (ICC) Courses, to qualify.
- Commercial Interior Designers who are not-yet certified can apply for certification with the commercial designation through Path 4
- The Application fee for Interior Designers not currently certified, applying through Path 4 is $500.00 paid at the time of application submission.
- Fee is for Application and IDEX Exam Registration only
- CID Application Fee $100.
- Fee includes new Commercial Designation ID Card and Stamp upon completion/approval.
- 2-Year Certification and Renewal Fees will be the same for all Certified Interior Designers.
- Commercial Designation CEU Requirements: 10 Hours per 2-Year Certification Period.
- Five of the 10 CEU hours MUST be CA code specific courses
- This Designation is voluntary and not required for CIDs who do commercial design.
- This designation is to assist in the identification of CIDs whose primary focus of practice is in commercial design.
- Not a guarantee that plans will be reviewed
- This is not intended as a fix-all for plan submission uniformity
ICC COURSES WILL BE UPDATED EFFECTIVE 1/1/2020 TO COINCIDE WITH CBC UPDATES
|2015 IBC Essentials with 2016 CA Amendments||
|2016 CBC Title 24 Regulation (Energy)||
2016 CBC Chapter 11B Accessibility in Public Buildings
|2016 CBC Means of Egress||
|Building Codes 101 for Interior Designers||
- Certified Interior Designers with the Commercial Designation will have a special stamp and identification card that says Commercial on them (see examples).
- Building Officials and members of the Public can verify the status of a CID‘s Commercial Designation on the CCIDC Website.
- Through the Verify Certification link.
- CIDs with the Commercial Designation will show “COMMERCIAL”
For Current CIDs in Good Standing:
NOTE: Current CIDs, in good standing, who apply and complete the process BEFORE December 31, 2019 do NOT need to provide proof of National Exam passage. The application fee and completion of listed ICC Courses shall be sufficient to obtain the Commercial Designation. APPLY NOW to take advantage of this CID Special Promotion!
For current CIDs to apply: Login to your CID Account to pay application fee. CCIDC will respond to your application once received via email with coupons for the ICC Courses. You have six months from receipt of application payment to submit proof of ICC course completion.
Commercial Interior Designers Who Are Not-Yet Certified:
Please apply for certification with the commercial designation through Path 4.